We provide free legal services for survivors in Alameda County who need assistance with domestic violence restraining orders, civil harassment restraining orders, limited family law issues, limited housing and landlord/tenant issues, and Title IX administrative proceedings at UC Berkeley. With family law and housing lawyers on staff, Family Violence Law Center is well-equipped to guide survivors through the relevant court and administrative systems.
We work with people who need help with:
- Domestic Violence Prevention Act Restraining Orders (DVROs)
- Child custody and visitation filings (as attached to a DVRO)
- Child and spousal support requests (as attached to a DVRO)
- Civil Harassment Restraining Orders (CHOs) for survivors of sexual assault, sexual harassment, and/or stalking
- Title IX administrative proceedings at UC Berkeley
- Addressing housing legal needs connected to their abuse situation
Our Legal Services include:
- Legal information
- Paperwork preparation
- Court accompaniment
- Attorney representation
- Advisor representation and support in Title IX administrative proceedings at UC Berkeley
- Eviction prevention and defense, assistance with landlord/tenant disputes, fair housing advocacy, and information on tenants’ rights
If you’d like to speak to someone today call 1-800-947-8301.
If you live outside of Alameda County, or have any legal issues not covered above, we can offer referrals for free and low-cost legal services in other jurisdictions or for other legal matters.
Criminal Justice Advocacy
FVLC staffs a team of advocates who work closely with Oakland, Berkeley, and Alameda police departments and the Alameda County Sheriff’s Department in order to enhance victim safety and improve law enforcement response to domestic violence.
Advocates receive domestic violence referrals from these jurisdictions and pro-actively contact victims to offer support and services.